During Fatal Standoff, Police Asked Facebook To Deactivate Woman’s Account

Maryland police shoot young mother after hours-long standoff

Facebook deactivated a woman’s account during her deadly stand off with Baltimore police.

Gaines, who police say was armed with a shotgun, is the ninth black woman shot and killed by police so far this year, The Washington Post reports.

According to legit sources close to Gaines, they said that she often spoke out about police brutality on her facebook page which has since been deleted and she also recorded police/civilian encounters and she recorded her own encounters of racial profiling by Baltimore PD.

Baltimore County Police initially went to Korryn Gaines’ apartment to arrest her after she failed to appear in court.

“What’s happening right now?” She asks him “What are they trying to do?” “What are they trying to do?”

An officer off-screen says, “We don’t want to kill you”.

Facebook did not respond to VICE News’ request for comment. One officer shot at her, she fired back, and police returned fire.

Mr. Courtney grabbed the one-year-old child he had with Gaines (the five-year-old was from a previous relationship) and fled the apartment.

Dormeus said she arrived at the scene later but wasn’t allowed to speak to Gaines during the negotiations, which she felt would have helped calm her daughter and might have ended the situation peacefully.

“I could hear her boyfriend telling her it wasn’t worth it, to just come on out”, said Dormeus, 49.

“But I don’t feel like they exhausted all the means of negotiation”. Officers were at Gaines’ apartment to deliver an arrest warrant for failing to appear on disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and traffic violations, and had an additional warrant for an unidentified man who also lived at the apartment.

At approximately 4 p.m., officers again attempted to negotiate with Gaines – who was still with her 5-year-old son – into surrendering, but police say she refused and pointed the gun at officers multiple times, even threatening to kill them saying, “If you don’t leave, I’m going to kill you”.

Gaines was stopped when patrol officers noticed a rectangular piece of cardboard with the words “Free Traveler” in place of her license plate. Another sign in her vehicle reportedly read, “Any Government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel will be held criminally responsible and fined, as this is a natural right or freedom”. There was also a video of a SWAT team officer standing in her apartment. “I can sum it up like this, either you’re going to like her or you wouldn’t”. In the caption, she said it was for self-defense.

On Aug. 1, Gaines was engaged in a multi-hour standoff with Baltimore police over arrest warrants for minor citations. That’s what brought the officers to her door with an arrest warrant, prompting the standoff.

Officers then took cover and called in tactical reinforcements and crisis negotiators, police said.

“We did reach out to social media authorities to deactivate her account to take it offline in order to preserve the integrity of the negotiation process with her and the safety of our personal her child”.

“Gaines was posting video of the operation as it unfolded”. People who saw the postings, Johnson said, responded by encouraging her to not comply with police. “Clearly, you can see this was an exigent circumstance where life and serious injury were in jeopardy”. Facebook owns Instagram, a photo and video sharing platform. Authorities say they aren’t certain whether he was shot or struck by shrapnel from bullets.

Facebook’s decision to comply with Baltimore police raises questions how and when Facebook and other social media companies become involved in police actions. Facebook deactivated the stream at the request of the police department.

Facebook regularly cooperates with police and has a portal to facilitate requests from law enforcement officers. About 73 percent of those requests were granted.

Leave a Comment